Anyone who has spent any amount of time on Pinterest undoubtedly has seen posts for easy DIY cushions….being the frugal gal that I am, I decided to recover the dinette cushions myself. Now I have sewn for years – mostly garments, but I’ve also dabbled in home decor. Well, perhaps it was more of a speckle….I made the bedding for my daughter’s room….baby room, that is…some 25yrs ago!
Anxious to see something new in Lucille other than linens, I ventured into the land of high density foam and fabric! The existing cushion foam was…well…yucky…and frankly a bit smelly. I read tales of folks attempting to clean dinette cushions and the results were less than appealing.
A few weeks ago I coerced my daughter to go with me to Hobby Lobby…we (she) found the perfect fabric! Mind you, I thought I’d found the perfect fabric weeks earlier, but I discovered she was only placating me…I must admit, I’m much happier with the final selection – similar colors, but much brighter
That was weeks ago! I had the fabric but needed piping, so off I went to JoAnn Fabrics – as luck would have it, they had foam on sale (that stuff is pricey!) so I bit the bullet and purchased enough to completely redo seats & backs….about the backs….they’re arched….the lady at JoAnn’s made cutting the foam look so easy – it wasn’t! At least not with the cheap electric knife I bought…it was not even AT ALL…trying not to panic at the thought of throwing away $75 (did I mention foam is pricey?)…I did what any frugal gal would do…IMPROVISE! Originally, I was going to fill in the unevenness with batting & top with 1″ foam….as it turns out, the 1″ roll of foam was pretty pricey too…that’s when I discovered Smart Foam – it’s like a foam/batting blend – the picture below isn’t the best angle, but you can see where it evens out my poor trim job…and yes, it really is even now..
I’m starting with the seats first to get the hang of things – the chevron is stamped not woven, which means it wasn’t really straight – I cut a strip long enough to allow proper alignment on the cushion. One of the posts I saw recommended placing the fabric on the foam and then pinning the piping to the fabric – I sort of followed that logic, but pinned and/or penciled a basting line first